DUTCH cycle mapping (urine)
For some women, testing reproductive hormones (progesterone, estrogen, etc.) on a single day is sufficient. In other scenarios, the clinical picture cannot be properly captured without “mapping” out the hormonal pattern throughout their menstrual cycle.
The expected pattern of hormones shows relatively low estrogen levels early in the cycle, a surge around ovulation and modest levels in the latter third of the cycle (the luteal phase). Progesterone levels, on the other hand, stay relatively low until after ovulation. After ovulation, levels ideally increase (>10-fold) and then drop back down at the end of the cycle. A disruption in this cycle can lead to infertility or hormonal imbalance.
WHEN IS DUTCH CYCLE MAPPING™ RECOMMENDED?
- Women struggling with infertility
- Women with cycling hormones and no menses
- Partial hysterectomy (ovaries intact but no uterus)
- Mirena IUD (no actual menstrual bleeding due to IUD but still has hormonal symptoms)
- Women with irregular cycles
- If the luteal phase shifts from month-to-month
- Not sure when to test due to long or short cycles
- Women whose hormonal symptoms tend to fluctuate throughout the cycle
- PMS, mid-cycle spotting, migraines, etc.
WHEN IS DUTCH CYCLE MAPPING™ NOT NEEDED? (DUTCH COMPLETE™ IS SUFFICIENT)
- Postmenopausal women
- Women on birth control
- Women with cycles that follow the expected pattern
How to Collect Urine
- Complete all information on each urine collection device. Fill in the day of cycle and date of collection with pen (not a gel pen).
- Collect your samples with your first morning void/urination. Saturate the filter paper by urinating directly on it OR urinating into a clean cup and dip the filter paper for 5 seconds.
- Leave each sample open to dry for at least 24 hours.
- Once dry, close each collection device and conveniently store in the kit box until you are done collecting all samples.
- Continue collecting according to your cycle schedule. Once ALL samples are completely dry, place them in the enclosed plastic bag and seal.
How to Return
- After drying the urine collection devices, make sure each sample is clearly labeled.
- Place the urine collection devices in the resealable plastic bag and store in the test kit box.
- Cut out the completed collection schedule from pages 6, 8, or 10.
- Place the entire test kit box, the completed collection schedule, and requisition form inside the return envelope.
- Affix the prepaid label or postage and return using the appropriate carrier.
Avoid avocado, bananas, and fava beans for 48 hours before collecting THE LAST 4 SAMPLES ONLY as they may elevate the HVA organic acid result; if you do consume, please make a note on your requisition form.
Some supplements may impact the HVA organic acid result.
If you take any of the following, please consult your provider:
Tyrosine, L-Dopa, D,L-Phenylalanine (DLPA), Mucuna and Quercetin.